Create a custom Live CD of ubuntu with remastersys
How to do it
- Start with a clean ubuntu installation (for example, in a Virtual machine, you can get ubuntu from: http://www.ubuntu.com/download )
- install your favorite programs
- update the system (recommended)
- install remastersys (see: Install remastersys - the easy way)
- open remastersys (system->administration->remastersys), and then choose the “backup” option, this way, all your data, including the contents of the “home” folder, bookmarks, homepage, customized options of the programs are included in the iso.
- (If you choose the “dist” option, all the programs will have the default settings and no personal info is stored.)
- wait some time while the iso is created…
- If you did this in VMware Workstation, you can take the iso out of there by simply copying it from /home/remastersys to a USB flashdisk, (see: plugging in a USB device)
- burn the iso: ubuntu already comes with Brasero, if you are in windows, you can use ImgBurn…
- Enjoy you Live CD/DVD of ubuntu!
- The resulting iso image can be burned to either a CD or DVD… (as long as it fits the disc, of course!), this disc can also be used as an install CD of ubuntu
- You can later use this CD/DVD to install ubuntu (with all the programs you added and custom settings)